Tuesday 6 October 2009

Tomatoes With A Love Injection



12 heart-shaped baby tomatoes (there is a variety called Baby Heart or else, like me, you get lucky with a seed cross. Of course, any cherry toms will do)
A pinch of well ground celery or lovage seed salt
Squeeze of lemon
A dessert spoon of Worcestershire Sauce (or to taste)
A teaspoon of Tabasco (or to taste)
8 fluid oz of good-quality vodka
One or two drips of Port

The fiddly bit
Using the empty syringe (you will need the largest possible diameter needle from your friendly chemist) carefully remove as much natural juice as possible entering the tomato through the green head, you will need to wiggle it about carefully without opening a hole. Allow the ingredients to mix and mingle for ten minutes then filter through muslin, any particles will block the needle, so take time over this. Fill the syringe with the mix, tapping it a couple of times with your nail if you want to look nursey (and don't we all!), and inject through the same top hole being careful to not overfill or the tomatoes will split with the pressure. Chill. Warn everyone to close their mouths around the little tom bombs, as they are quite explosive so serve with napkins!

8 comments:

chaiselongue said...

This sounds fun - although I don't know if I'd have the patience - and your other tomatoes look lovely.

sweetbay said...

Great idea! I'm with chaiselongue, I don't know if I'd have the patience to do this, but the recipe sounds very intriguing.

Celia Hart said...

OMG! Best eaten outside I would say! Definitely not one to serve to an unsuspecting gent in a white shirt!!!

Celia

immersion said...

All you need now is a stick of celery. This sure beats "jello shots" that have made the rounds at parties. They're part disgusting and part fun. I'd much rather have doctored tomatoes, any day!

Rob (ourfrenchgarden) said...

Bloody Mary. This has to be the most polished version I've ever seen. Hic!

Carol said...

I think this could be fun and a great compliment to oysters on the half shell! I agree with Rob ... quite an artsy bloody mary.

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I discovered your blog through Blotanical and am enjoying reading your posts.
I never thought to inject tomatoes with such goodness, they sound delicious.

Woodland Fay said...

keewee - thanks for dropping by. I will be returning to my blog very soon (writing as I speak) so I hope you'll stay tuned. Hopefully the watering régime at the allotment will allow me time to catch up with old and new friends and their blogs, doing a rain dance!